Monday, June 16, 2014

Sounds from Above Birds

Stepping off the Express bus in front of our Longhouse on the way to class at Moreland, the English throne, I hear you above me--cheerfully chirping, complaining, chattering -- going about the tasks you have choreographed throughout time.
Busy with the everyday activities of making a nest for spring babies, not yet conceived, scouting out the best places to get the supplies needed to build your nest and maintain your family.
Most walk by you and don’t even notice that you are not only in the trees, but up in the rafters, for you have adapted to our circumstances and make your home where you will.
I stop and listen for I know that call, which I taught myself at an early age.  Bird calls are magnificent. 
It is a great talent to possess.  I used it once at the zoo with some birds and the males stepped forward to see what I was, giving everyone a great picture moment.  They were protecting their family from this strange bird and we were in heaven seeing them so close.
I know that you are one of the truly free creatures that exist everywhere.
You existed with the dinosaurs, with the prehistoric man, with time before time began.

You have been here and will continue to be here, after we have destroyed ourselves with our carelessness of your earth.

by
Elnora Palmtag

No comments:

Post a Comment