Monday, December 30, 2013

Kate Chopin's Desiree's Baby Comments

Chopin's Twist
Having grown up in the South for the first 17 years of my life, I am aware of the diverse people we are studying this week, but I had not read Chopin's story. This is a subject, which has affected many blacks, being part white in a black and white society. 

When I was little, a new family moved into my neighborhood. They looked very white but one of the children was darker than the others. We knew they were black but when they first moved to town, they moved into the white community and went to the white school, I later attended. They were immediately expelled when one of the staff told the principal that the school they came from up north was black. When questioned, the family did not deny this claim and had to move and relocate schools.

The plot in Desiree's Baby was unexpected as few writers had the audacity to attack a man, let alone one who was passing. It was usually the woman who were at fault. I liked this twist but it sure put a roadblock in any future plans for Armand, the main character. He actually put Desiree in his shoes, which he was ashamed of. 
In the past, Thomas Jefferson actually sent his sons up north so that they could pass as did some other slave owners. This practice is perpetuated throughout history, so that few families in America are entirely of one race. 

My immediate family is black and are very proud, almost to the extreme.

Yet, I married my husband, who is white and his family has branches that are Spanish, Vietnamese, Indian, black and white.

So yes, I know the joys, pride and understanding of diversity, prejudice, freedom, and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment